- 6 large green chiles, for stuffing
- 3/4 cup crema or sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 pomegranate, seeds separated
- 1/2 lb ground pork or beef
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 of an onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon lard or vegetable oil
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and seeded, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted almonds, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins, softened in warm water
- 3 eggs
Heat the oil or lard over medium heat in a large pan. Add in the beef or pork and brown until nearly done. Add in the garlic, onion, apple, almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, pinch of salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks with a mixer or a whisk. Fold in the egg yolks and a pinch of salt. Dip each stuffed chile in the egg mixture and fry until golden brown.
Stuff the chiles with equal portions of the stuffing. Blend or mix the crema, walnuts and sugar with the evaporated milk. Pour over the freshly cooked chiles and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.