- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons shortening or lard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup warm water
- (***Or you can use 6 pre-made tortillas and 1/8 cup water and a medium paint brush for the food coloring)
- Orange food coloring (or red and yellow mixed to make orange)
- 2 cups white or yellow cheese, shredded
For pre-made tortillas
Add quite a bit of orange food coloring to the water until it is a vibrant color. Use a paint brush to brush the water onto 3 of the tortillas. It should be just enough to get the color on, not make it soggy. Let the damp tortillas sit until dry and then continue with the directions below.
For 3 of the tortillas, use a sharp knife to cut out your Jack 'O Lantern face. This usually consists of a triangle nose and eyes and a mouth.
Place a whole tortilla on a comal or a skillet preheated over medium heat. Cover with cheese. Place a Jack 'O Lantern tortilla on the top and cook over low heat until cheese is melted.