- 12 slices of thick-cut bacon
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 lbs beef, Top Round or London Broil
- 6 cups beef broth or stock
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 2 cups black beans, cooked (or use a 15 oz. can)
- **1 chipotle chile (optional)
Add the broth to the pot. Remove the leaves of the cilantro and chop the leaves up and add them as well. Discard the stems of the cilantro. Add the beans to the pot and cover it. Simmer over low heat for about an hour. Crumble or chop the bacon into very small pieces and add to the pot. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes or until bacon has softened. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with your favorite garnishes.
Garnishes Garnish with more cilantro, chile sauce, onions, more bacon or any other toppings you like. Serve with flour tortillas.
**For extra smokiness and heat, take a chipotle chile (a whole one for more heat, or a half of one for medium heat) and blend it with 2 cups of the broth before adding it back into the soup with the cilantro.