By Chelsie Kenyon, About.com Guide
- Tradtional Main Dishes
- Traditional Side Dishes
- Traditional Salsas and Condiments
- Traditional Tortillas and Breads
- Traditional Desserts
Tradtional Main Dishes
Delicious main dishes that represent the unique culture and flavor of Mexico.
- Tamales- Steamed Masa with a Filling
- Birria- Steamed Beef or Goat
- Chile Colorado- Beef with Red Chile Sauce
- Menudo- A Classic Soup
- Chile Verde- Pork in a Green Chile Sauce
- Picadillo- A Seasoned Beef Dish
- Pollo Encacahuatado- Chicken in Peanut Sauce
- Pibil Pollo- Chicken with Sour Orange and Chile
- Chilorio- Pork with Chile Sauce from Sinaloa
- Poc-Chuc: Tender Pork topped with Onions
- Carnitas- Tender and Juicy Fried Pork
- Chile en Nogada- Chiles in a Walnut Sauce
Traditional Side Dishes
Any of these side dishes are the perfect companion to any traditional main dish.
- Refried Beans
- Black Beans- Simmered and Lightly Seasoned
- Spanish Rice- Flavored with Tomatoes and Garlic
- Arroz con Frijoles Negro- Black Beans and Rice
- Camote- Sweet Potatoes
Traditional Salsas and Condiments
These condiments add flavor and color to your dish and are also great for dipping.
- Basic Salsa- "Pico de Gallo"
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- Salsa Verde- Green Salsa
- Salsa Picante- Spicy Hot Salsa
Traditional Tortillas and Breads
Delicious baked and grilled items to go along with your favorite dish.
These mouth-watering desserts provide a delicious grand-finale to any Mexican meal.