- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups white rice, soaked for 20 minutes in warm water
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 small chile (jalapeno or serrano work well) seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup peas , frozen (optional)
- 1/3 cup carrots, frozen, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for another 10 minutes. Check rice and simmer for an additional 5 minute if neccesary.
OPTIONAL- If adding cooked meat, add it during the last 10 minutes of cooking.