A zesty, flavorful version of the traditional refried beans. Jalapenos add a mild heat and the cheese adds a subtle creamy flavor. These are a big hit at potlucks and fiestas.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 16 oz. black beans, cooked or canned
- 1/4 cup lard or bacon drippings
- 2 pickled jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese or queso blanco
Prepare a large skillet by heating drippings or lard over medium heat. Cook the garlic, onions and jalapenos until slighlty wilted. Sprinkle in the cumin. Add in about 1/2 cup of beans and mash with back of spoon or mashing utensil. If the mixture seems thick, add about a tablespoon of liquid from canned beans or the cooking liquid.
Continue to add beans and mash them together, adding liquid as necessary. Top with shredded cheese.