For Step-by-Step instructions are also available. How to make Refried Beans with a picture of each step.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
- 2 cups uncooked pinto beans
- 2 sprigs epazote (if available)
- 1/2 cup bacon drippings or lard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and halved (optional)
- salt to taste
When beans are extremely soft, prepare a large skillet by heating drippings or lard over medium heat. Cook the serrano chiles until browned. Using a slotted spoon, add in about 1/2 cup of beans and mash with back of spoon or mashing utensil. If the mixture seems thick, add about a tablespoon of the cooking liquid from the beans.
Continue to add beans and mash them together, adding liquid as necessary. Remove chiles and discard. Add garlic powder and salt to taste.