- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 white or purple onion, sliced
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 jalapenos seeded and diced
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 8 green olives, pitted and sliced into quarters
- 2 tablespoon of the liquid that comes with the olives
- 1/4 cup raisins (softened by soaking in warm water for 20 minutes)
- 1 poblano chile or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 small cone of piloncillo or 1 teaspoon brown sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon molasses.
- 2 potatoes peeled and cubed* (optional, see below)
- 1/4 cup oil* (optional for potatoes)
Cook the potatoes in the oil over medium heat in a large pan. When the potatoes have softened and are browned, fold into the beef mixture.