What you will need to make great sugar skulls:
- Granulated Sugar (adjust amount depending on how many sugar skulls you will be making. Approximately 1 cup per 6 small sugar skulls, 4 medium or 1 large whole sugar skull.)
- Large bowl
- Sugar Skull molds (shape and size of your preference. (Some are faces only and some include two parts that you put together to make a whole skull.)
- Meringue powder, 1 teaspoon for each cup of sugar. (Helps to hold the sugar together.)
- Powdered sugar for the sugar skull decorative icing.
- Paste food coloring to color the icing.
- Icing decorator bags
- A large, dry area for the sugar skulls to dry in. (Once for the sugar to dry in the mold, and once for the icing to dry.)
- Any other decoration you like such as foil, beads or feathers.
View some finished sugar skulls in the Sugar Skulls Gallery and learn more about the history of sugar skulls here. And go here to find out Everything you need to know for Dia de los Muertos and Sugar Skulls