Learn how to seed a dice a tomato in one procedure. Your beautifully diced tomatoes will be perfect for salsas and salad toppings.
For pictures of each step see the Step-By Step.
Time Required: 1 Minute
- Slice bottom off
Turn the tomato upside down and slice a paper thin slice off of the bottom. This is what your tomato will sit on so it doesn't roll away.
- Place tomato upright
Turn your tomato over (stem side up) and sit it on the flat area you just sliced.
- Slice a "petal" off of tomato
Lay your knife flat (sharp side down) against the tomato outside the stem area where the tomato starts to curve downward. Slice downward in a C shape to cut the flesh away from the seeds.
- Cut petals until all flesh is removed
Repeat step 3 until all the flesh has been removed from the ball of seeds in the middle. The flesh you cut off should be similar to petals coming off of the tomato.
- Discard seeds and prep tomato for dicing
Discard the seeds from the center of the tomato. If there are remaining seeds or white areas on the tomato petals, use your knife to scrape them off and discard.
- Flatten Petal
Dice one petal at a time. With your fingers, gently push down the petal to flatten it somewhat.
- Slice petal lengthwise
Run your knife lengthwise in 1/2 inch slices to make strips of tomato.
- Slice petal strips crosswise
Hold the strips together and slice across them every 1/2 inch. Take finished diced tomatoes and set aside or place in bowl.
- Dice remaining petals
Repeat steps 6,7 and 8 with each tomato petal.
- There is a slight separation between the tomato flesh and the ball of seeds and juice in the center. Try to keep your knife sliding through that space when you cut the flesh off.
- Use a very sharp knife. I prefer serrated.
- Always wash and dry your tomatoes before seeding and dicing.
- Use the tomatoes as soon as possible. Once a tomato is cut the flavor and texture degenerate quickly.
- If necessary store your diced tomatoes in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
What You Need
- Cutting surface
- Sharp knife